Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chapter One - Part 3


The Bookeeper's presentation was well delivered but short. From it I gained enough confidence of his measure to be satisfied. He was plain and good enough to maintain his standing, but with enough complexity to fall from favor with his Keep. But mostly, he was not concerned in his performance, he was honest.

At his conclusion, Mr. Importance rose and hurried to the front door clutching the napkin. When the door shut we sat in silence for another twenty seconds before the waitress emerged from the kitchen with coffee.

She appeared to be about thirty, with dark hair worn up, and dark eyes. She was pleasantly excited in contrast to Mr. Important who seemed shaken and afraid.

Zildjian, hearing her footsteps on the hardwood nearing our table, said as he started to rise, "Tama, this is Sara, the café owner." The Keeper smiled and glanced up at her she was patting him on the shoulder to keep him seated.

"Pleased to meet you. Tama, is it?" She moved the pot to her left hand to shake with her right.

I rose shaking her hand and replied, "Yes, that's right. Nice place."

"It will be nicer once the cook composes himself. It still amazes me how differently you people affect us citizens… sit down young man." She smiled. "Either of you hungry?"

I decided not to remind her that as a Keep member I have nearly fifty years on her, instead I simply replied, "Yeah, I think I will have your breakfast special and a coffee."

Zildjian nodded. "Me, too. Give Bill my apologies when you see him next, I hope Cookie enjoyed the performance."

"I think he did. He's gone into the walk-in to cool off. I might have to cook your orders myself. They'll be up in a bit." She poured the coffee and left us to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment