Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chapter One - Part 4


Zildjian asked, "What do you think?"

"I think if that was your full measure, you're not much of a Bookeeper." I was glad that got a laugh. "Honestly… I think you got your chords full with Bender Mack. His Black Market Keep doesn't have the constraints of law that hobble you."

"You know of him?" He looked a little surprised.

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked. I wanted to know what he knew of me.

"Well, if you live near your Dad, it must mean you're the better part of five counties away from us. Mack is not that well known… and the fact that you know of him, tells me you draw information. This being true, it places you just a few steps from being a Wizard yourself." He was clear, his information round and effective, his understanding was compelling.

"Are you straight?" Even though his Keep demanded it, he was somewhat out of favor, so I figured I'd better ask.

Zildjian replied, "Yeah. You?"

"Yep. Could you use a Deputy?" I asked.

"Depends," he replied in the same tone. "What are your hours of study?"

"When I am awake."

"Good and plain answer. Yes, you can start immediately I'll send notification to the Masters of the Keep, your wages started this morning two thirds of full Bookeeper." He sugared his coffee. "Your Father may never have mentioned me, but we are old friends. I have been waiting for you to show. If you want to study with me you'll need his permission… even though you're grown." He was gauging me again.

"We buried him last week. Now it's just my Mother, their ward, and me. I have Mother's permission if you need that."

Zildjian's eyes welled, and he shook his head no.

No comments:

Post a Comment