Saturday, June 6, 2009

Chapter One - Part 2


Just through the front door the Keeper walked over to the counter. He seemed to be writing on a napkin. When he finished he handed the napkin to Mr. Important guy from outside. Then he turned to me, gesturing to an empty table with the menus in his left hand.

As we sat down, he handed me one of them. "Have whatever you like as long as it's on the menu. Don't worry about the price; it's part of my expenses. When you're ready I'd like to pose a few questions if you don't mind."

The questions were expected; the kindness and manners were not. I said, "Sir, we can size each other up by beating around the bush if you want. I ain't hungry, I'd just like coffee and an appointment with you to go over measures." My tone and delivery barely qualified as spell but there was enough there to be recognized without being considered a threat. More a genuine, Keep greeting.

He responded with the same measure. "I was hoping you would be plain and honest enough to expose. What kind of Keep did you study with?"

"Three levels plain and good. Four trimesters complex study in minor measures and my Father is a Lyrics Wizard. And he and I get along fine." A straightforward answer no tone seemed called for. The Keeper's posture relaxed a little.

He asked, "Why come to me?"

"You were recommended by a Marketeer who I had to set down hard... from a little dispute over a frail who happened to be my parent's ward. He recognized certain tones that he later told me reminded him of you." I gestured to him. "From still other sources, I have heard differing reviews of your work… sometimes plain descriptors… sometimes complex. And, you're a full Keep representative… even if you do happen to be out of favor with that body."

His green eyes were half closed as he listened to me describe and I knew he was drawing it out of me. I kept my delivery plain. Fear would be apparent on a less experienced Singer brought on by his draw. I finished, "Curiosity, more than anything, Book-Keeper. I wanted to know your measure."

Evidently my appointment was right then and there, as he started with plain tones that had some distant mixtures of the complex. Mr. Important who sat at the café bar covered his face. The cook and waitress could no longer be seen through the kitchen's pick-up window. And I was glad we were the only five in the diner.

I sensed his truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment