Sunday, June 7, 2009

Chapter One - Part 5


"How did your Father pass?" Zildjian asked quietly.

"An old deaf grizzly got into our smokehouse…" Feeling my emotions, I had to adjust my posture to keep my tone even as I explained. "The bear was still working on him when I showed with my rifle, and when he saw me he turned his attention to me. I tried vocals but the griz kept coming for me and I had to shoot him. My Father had already passed when I got to him."

I was barely controlled in my report and could see that the Bookeeper was deeply moved. "Keeper, I…"

"Call me Marshall or Zildjian." He sat back in his chair and closed his eyes. "How is your Mom fairing?"

"She's angry. Did you know them both?" I wondered why this man had never been mentioned.

"The four of us were great friends. Then I got this job after…"

Sara arrived with a refill. "Cookie's back on the job and should be filling your plates directly. I have to go to the bank now that it's open and our morning rush is over." She flashed a big smile. "He won't mind bringing your plates as long as there won't be anymore surprises."

Zildjian looked as though he had welcomed the interruption so I did not re-apply the question after Sara left. Cookie soon came with our breakfast, a big burly giant who looked a little flushed. I found out later that the ruddy color never left him.

"He looks as though he can handle himself..." I said as he disappeared back into the kitchen, I wondered if he were ever used for support.

Zildjian doctored his hash browns and seemed to know my thoughts saying, "He is very useful as back up but he can be a little uncontrollable." He raised his cup. "What of your parent's ward? Does she study?"

"Two years younger than me and has been constantly exposed to craft: Father, Mother, and myself. She dabbles in it with intensity. Her vocals are powerful and focused, but will she study? She seems disinterested. I think she wants to avoid the Keep membership."

I paused and looked at the Keeper, his eyes closed, a bite of sausage and hash on his fork.

I continued. "I am a little jealous over the ability she doesn't care to develop… seems a waste. Whoever her parents were, they were members of a Keep. She could easily pass for fifteen years old and she is nearly my age at seventy-eight. Even with only one parent as a Keeper or Wizard she would age at a normal rate as a citizen…"

Stunned by the truth that I had just realized, I asked, "She's your daughter isn't she?"

No comments:

Post a Comment